Thursday, February 22, 2024

Brandon Alan Makovy

I was reminded today that I have some pretty interesting relationships. One I'd like to share with you today is my friend Brandon.
Brandon Alan Makovy and I met back in 1999. I took a long weekend trip to Texas to visit some friends I had met while at college in Flagstaff, AZ. We drove 15 hours across Arizona, New Mexico and half of Texas to find ourselves in College Station, home of the Aggies, Texas A&M. Over that weekend we attended a retreat with our friends and this is where I met Brandon. He was my discussion group leader. He also helped lead worship that weekend. And then for the talent show, he made songs up about people and entertained us all. That night, as I sat back watching him, he began to grow on me and thus began my crush stage. So, sometime after that we started exchanging e-mails (he still has all of them saved somewhere on his computers, pack rat, saves everything!) and our friendship flourished. He was one of the first people I remember in my life telling me I was funny. Our e-mails went back and forth for years. Now mind you, I had only spent maybe 7 hours all together with this guy before this. We continued e-mailing until one summer a guy from Crystal Lake went to work at the same summer camp as Brandon and it came to be known that crystal Lake was right next to cary, the town this girl I know but have not seen in years lives.
Meeting #2... BAM, doesn't fly.
So this crazy man takes off for spring break and drives all the way up to Illinois to see me, Patrick and another friend that lives up in Milawuakee, Wisconsin. Having not ever hung out before we spent a lot of time getting to know each other face to face. We toured downtown, did a drive by of the United Center, Nike Town, and nothing else exciting cause I was a bad hostess and hadn't a clue where to go! Thank God he is super laid back and wonderful. I took him to church, introduced him to that insanity and watched him do what he does so well...mingle! Brandon is WOO. He is funny and sensitive and an entertainer so he fit in very well with my friends. Mom loved him and got his # right away. "He really likes to talk!" And he does. E-mail and phone calls and IM became our life lines to one another. There were nights I remember talking into the wee hours of the morning only to get up that very next day and chat all day! Brandon was still in college, finishing his degree when we lost touch for awhile. Life got super busy and somewhere in that time period he graduated, got his teaching certificate and moved to Dallas. This is when we again began chatting more often. Last summer, we tried to meet up more than once. We always talk about trying to. But finally, he came to visit me again! He showed up late one night by the way of Nashville. He had spent his summer there playing his music for local bar groupies trying to land a record deal or get a song or two sung by someone famous. I know one day I will hear his lyrics or voice on the local country station! He is so stinking talented, but that market is a hard one. The endurance my friend has though, is astonishing. How do you make your dreams fly when you are constantly being beaten down?
STATS:
6'5"
225 ish, all muscle girls
Blond
Blue
Singer
Writer of music, poetry, halarious commentary
Guitar player
Worship Leader
Teacher
Coach
Pitcher
Comedian
Artist

No comments: