Thursday, February 22, 2024

She is sunshine in the spring to me...

Valerie Jean English Vinson.

The story began years and years ago beside a palm tree. Girls telling each other their stories. Tears fell as did the rain. Then a day or so later in a church courtyard she told the truth that started at a level 10 on a scale of 1-10. And as we lay in our bunkbeds under misquito netting, laughter and a hard days work washed over us. A beginning of a friendship that claimed my heart. 17 and foolish we were. Full of such innocence.

Returning home, we began spending every waking minute of every day with each other. Involved in ministry, and life. It was what we knew. Daily trips to Palatine to pick her up, she would releave my stress by making me laugh and by hopping in the back seat of GRBOOG. "The green booger," as my brother had named it was my 1970's Jeep Jeepster Commando. How we actually made it all the way to Wisconsin one night, I will never know. But, that's what it was about. That first summer and fall. Making memories.


And then, came the year of intensity. Divorce. Fire Starters. Toronto. We both basically lived out of my car. We shared my bedroom between Jen and her and I. Interning. More driving. TGIF. More Fridays. Throwing away CD's because, well it was the thing we thought we should do. Summer camp when I went away. So much bonding, so little time. And there was major confusion. And utter silliness. And pain that was healed. And pain that was birthed. And a deep trust that continued to grow.

We were growing up side by side.

A Nannying postion. Dan and Nancy. Winnetka. Justin. Tea. Cards. HUB. Troy. Your folks moving. Invisible moose's standing on the side of Route 14. Under age trips to Wisconsin. Elmo and Elmo the car. She got her Drivers' License. TRIBE. And then she had to go and fall in love. My dearest Valerie had to go and move to Rockford. And so I moved to Arizona and Omaha and then back. And then, she went and got married on me. VJE became VJV.

And then, had a baby. And I remember, going to visit Ayden Luke. What a joy! What an amazing bridge to watch her soul go through. Something internal blossoming before my eyes. Seeing the girl who always wanted to be a mom, become a mother. It was simply beautiful.

A second baby boy, but taken to heaven before we could meet. A loss that could break anyone gave me insight into just who is the Lord of Val's life. Turning to Jesus for her strength, I watched in awe. that asked more of me than I gave. And she taught me about forgiveness and how to be there for someone.





No comments: